Overnight Field Trip Opportunities
Each year Challenge to Excellence offers overnight field trips for middle school students in 6th, 7th and 8th grade. Overnight field trips are an extension of our S.T.E.A.M. programming, offering students an opportunity to learn outside of the classroom in a safe and secure environment alongside their peers and teachers.
Grade 6 & 8 – Stone Canyon Outdoor EDVentures
Stone Canyon Outdoor EdVentures is located at 6,800 feet elevation, nestled in a canyon along the Rampart Range, and is located just 40 minutes south of C2E. Students experience the wonders of science, cultivate problem-solving skills and teamwork, and embrace the beauty of the great outdoors. Our students delve into scientific exploration in real-world settings, immersing themselves in the study of energy resources, aerodynamics, fire and forest ecology, animal survival, and freshwater biology. In addition to these enriching experiences, they embark on high ropes challenges, master the art of archery, conquer thrilling escape rooms, and zoom along exhilarating zip lines. Visit Stone Canyon Outdoor EdVenture website
Students are divided into two spacious on-site cabins, with gender-based accommodations. Each cabin consists of four bunk rooms, accommodating 8-16 students in each. Both cabins offer the convenience of private bathrooms and showers, ensuring comfort and privacy. Additionally, these cabins are equipped with heating, electricity, and modern indoor plumbing facilities.
- Estimated Travel Dates: November/January
- Estimated Cost: $350/student (paid via MySchoolBucks)
- Length of trip: 3 days (2 nights)
- Grades: 6th grade students (fall), 8th grade students (spring)
- Parent Info Meeting
6th grade families: September 20, 2023 from 3:30-4:00 PM
- 8th grade families: October 5, 2023 from 3:30 -4:00 PM (Any 6th grade parents that missed the meeting on Sept. 20 are welcome to attend the 8th grade meeting)
- Watch the Parent Presentation
- Field Trip Behavior Agreement
- REGISTER FOR STONE CANYON
Grade 7 – Keystone Science School
At an elevation of 9,200 feet, Keystone Science School’s campus is nestled in Colorado’s Snake River Valley. The 23-acre campus is built on the site of the Old Keystone Village, a former railroad and sawmill site, which supported silver and gold mining. Today, majestic mountain ranges provide a dynamic setting for learning. C2E 7th grade students, accompanied by middle school staff attend Keystone Science School programs and use local trails as outdoor classrooms to provide students with hands-on learning experiences. Students only need to bring a sleeping bag, pillow, and clothes for the program and KSS will take care of the rest. All meals, instruction, and lodging are covered within the program costs.
Students will stay in one of our log-style dormitories, featuring bunk beds, restrooms with showers, and a community space. There are two dormitories, Bighorn Dorm and the Henry Dorm. Both dorms are located right in the center of campus near Rives Dining Hall. Each room sleeps four to five students and there are eight rooms in each dorm. Chaperones stay in a room with bunk-beds off of the community space. Take a virtual tour of our dorms.
- Estimated Travel: February 7-9, 2024
- Estimated Cost: $400/student (paid via MySchoolBucks)
- Length of Trip: 3 days (2 nights)
- Grade: 7th grade students only
- Parent Info Meeting
- October 12, 2023 from 3:30 – 4:00 PM
- Registration Deadline for all students: November 27, 2023